Every year I like to make an ornament that reflects something our daughter did that year. Her first year we have a "Baby's First Christmas" ornament. The second year she got to meet Elmo at the local mall (an ornament is still in the works) and then this year we went to Disneyland...so of course we needed some sort of Disney ornament.
With all of the excitement while we were in California, I forgot to purchase an ornament in the park. Then when we got home I didn't see the purpose in spending so much on one from the Disney store if it wasn't from the actual park.
So...that left my last option....handmade!
bobby pin (or paper clip)
Styrofoam balls (1 big, two small)
polka dot ribbon
hot glue gun
I found this Styrofoam snowman kit at Joann for $1. I used a coupon that was about to expire to make it a whole $.60!
Inside the kit was the perfect sized Styrofoam for Minnie's head:
1. I took my bobby pin and inserted it in the top of the largest ball. This is so can attach an ornament hook later.
You could also use a paper clip for this. In hindsight, I would have cut the bobby pin shorter so it didn't stick out so much.
2. I painted the ball black.
3. I took one of the smaller balls and cut a little bit off the bottom to give it a flatter surface for gluing to the larger ball.
4. I glued both of the smaller ones to the larger where the "ears" should be.
5. Then I painted the smaller ones black as well.
6. For the bow I cut some old polka dot ribbon I had.
7. I folded both ends into the center and glued them together.
8. I applied glue to the center and pinched the bow in half.
9. Finally I sealed the ornament with a little glossy Mod Podge, glued the bow on, and then glued a craft rhinestone on the center of the bow.
My daughter already loves it! She can't wait to put up our Christmas tree next week:)
This would even be cute if you wrote the year on the front or your child's initial! Or, how cute would it be to make a Mickey one with a top hat and a Minnie with a wedding veil for a newlywed couple?
I think I ended up liking my $.60 version better than any of the ones at the Disney Store:)
I'm linked to: